Rooted in traditional Chinese martial arts, Tai Chi coordinates rhythmic patterns of movement with deep breathing. The body is in constant motion—with one posture flowing into the next—but the fluid motions and deep breathing allow the mind to slow.
Beachbody now has an at-home Tai Chi workout. Tai Cheng, developed by Dr. Mark Cheng, blends the traditional martial arts of Tai Chi with the benefits of modern sports medicine.
Designed for all ages and fitness levels, the 13-week-program focuses on 18 movements. Dr. Cheng teaches the move in an expanded format—one new move each day.
If you think this sounds too “woo woo” for you, scientific studies show that not only can Tai Chi help with stress reduction, it can also improve a variety of other health conditions.
According to the Mayo Clinic and other experts, practicing Tai Chi can:
- Reduce stress.
- Reduce anxiety and depression.
- Improve balance, flexibility and muscle strength.
- Reduce falls in older adults.
- Reduce the effects of Fibromyalgia.
- Improve sleep quality.
- Lower blood pressure.
- Improve cardiovascular fitness in older adults.
- Relieve chronic pain.
- Increase energy, endurance and agility.
- Improve overall feelings of well-being.
Other benefits of Tai Chi:
- Requires no special equipment
- Safe for people of all ages and stages of health, because it is low impact and adaptable.
- Many modifications.
- Especially good for older adults.